100 years of Desi history on the streets of Berkeley, California
Discover over 100 years of radical South Asian American history in the streets of Berkeley, California! South Asians have been living in California since at least 1857, but their stories are still little known. Join community historians Anirvan Chatterjee and Barnali Ghosh as South Asian American history comes to life on an engaging 2-mile walking tour. You'll visit original sites, hear stories, and come away inspired by secret histories of resistance and organizing.
Register Now! JUN 16, JUL 13 (click to see details…)
Comments From Recent Participants:
We've done 27 runs of the tour for ~350 people (at BASS 2012, and on Sep 29, Oct 13-14, 20-21, 28, Nov 3-4, 17-18, 2012, and Mar 30, Apr 7, May 4, 2013). Participants have said:
- "a fantastic, interactive, inspiring, and provocative tour"
- "one of the most amazing experiences ever"
- "fun," "engaging," "very interactive," "loved it," "shocked," "moved"
- "I really felt a sense of belonging from this tour. Also liked that it was not Indo-centric."
- "I found it really moving…there are roots within our community that connect to our current activism"